|“||Can you imagine this all that’s left of the Church of Night and the Academy, a handful of witches and warlocks [...] Perhaps we’re the Church of Lilith now. I don’t know but as High Priestess, I figure it out.||”|
|— Zelda to Hilda[src]|
She is a witch who became the High Priestess of the Church of Night after marrying Faustus Blackwood, who abandoned the coven only after poisoning them following the return of the Dark Lord. After a religious crisis following the coven departure from Satanic beliefs, Zelda founded the Order of Hecate to lead survivors of the Church of Night and hedge witches as their High Priestess.
Zelda is the harsher of the Spellman sisters who helped raise Sabrina, though her sternness and tough facade might be hiding a more…mothering soul. Unlike Hilda, Zelda claims that she has never known love—her devotion to the Dark Lord is all-consuming—which is why people looking for a love-potion go to Hilda; those looking to make a spite-jar go to Zelda
Zelda Spellman, Sabrina’s sterner witch aunt the other being Hilda. Proud and devout, Zelda believes there is no greater honor than serving the Dark Lord as a member of the Church of Night. She is the family’s disciplinarian, fiercely protective of Sabrina, and very much Cain to Hilda’s Abel.
When she was sixteen, Zelda signed the Book of the Beast, pledging her allegiance to the Dark Lord and joined the Academy of Unseen Arts, where she was put through the Harrowing. When Hilda went to Academy, Zelda submitted her also to the school's Harrowing, a form of hazing for new witches, making academic life difficult for her little sister.
Due to her love for babies, she along with Hilda, became midwives. Zelda delivered many babies into the Church of Night and was considered the finest midwife their coven has ever seen, and she often reveled in the sin of pride because of it.
When Sabrina was three days old, Zelda acted as a witness for her brother, Edward, in signing Sabrina's name to the Book of the Beast, promising Sabrina to the Dark Lord's service. Soon thereafter, Sabrina's parents would die in a plane crash. Sabrina was the only survivor because she was transported to her aunts, leaving her in their care. When Diana's family tried to gain custody of Sabrina, Zelda threatened to rip of their faces should they ever approach Sabrina.
At some point, Zelda's nephew Ambrose was arrested for a conspiracy to blow up the Vatican, and when he refused to give up his co-conspirators, he was sentenced to house arrest under the watch of Hilda and Zelda. After Edward and Diana Spellman died, Zelda and her sister became Sabrina's guardians and raised her.
Throughout Chilling Adventures of Sabrina
Zelda is a middle-aged woman with red hair, green eyes, and a glamorous fashion style that resembles that of an old Hollywood movie star - elegant necklaces, fur, and sunglasses. Her makeup includes pink lipstick and black mascara, and she is regularly seen with her golden cigarette holder.
Zelda is a glamorous, stern, proud, and sometimes haughty, but still softhearted witch, devout to the Church of Night. She follows the rules of the Church but is also willing to break them, to protect her family. Although she often abuses and kills Hilda, Zelda genuinely loves and cares about her; one of her greatest fears is losing her forever. Despite her devotion to the Dark Lord and the Church, Zelda has standards about certain things and even took Faustus Blackwood's daughter away because she was afraid that he might harm her because the baby was not a male heir. Zelda is willing to always do the right thing, proven when - despite her aversion to mortals - she and her family, summoned a tornado to lure them all to Baxter High to protect them from the Red Angel of Death. Zelda is also the one who comforted Sabrina the best after her breakup with Harvey Kinkle, showing that she's also able to be emphatic and maternal to her niece. She considers herself an oath breaker and an abomination because She loves her family more than the Dark Lord.
One of her most defining traits is her maternal soul. Zelda cares deeply for children. She considers Sabrina a daughter and would kill anyone who tried to take Ambrose from her. She also has developed an attachment for Judith Blackwood after she took her from her father. She once used magic to protect Harvey from his father and saved a bunch of young witches including Agatha, Dorcas, Melvin, and Elspeth, after Father Blackwood tried to poison them out of spite. Whenever Zelda gets particularly annoyed, by someone she tends to get very sarcastic.
Powers and Abilities
- Spell Casting: The power to change and control events through the use of incantations, commands, or even gestures.
- Astral Projection: Zelda is capable of astral projecting her spirit from her body.
- Containment: The power to contain a being in a given area.
- Demonic Exorcism: Zelda is able to perform an exorcism, with the help of other witches.
- Atmokinesis: The power to control the weather. An example is when she and the other Spellmans created a tornado in order to lure every resident in Greendale to go on the Baxter High's basement.
- Warding: The power to place protection spells and wards on places and people, shielding them from harm.
- Teleportation: The ability to move from one place to another without occupying the space in between.
- Telekinesis: The power to move and control things with the mind.
- Mind Control: The power to control another person's actions, thoughts and feelings.
- Mediumship: Zelda is able to see and communicate with the spirits of the dead.
- Longevity: As a full witch, Zelda ages at an especially slow rate.
Zelda and her younger sister Hilda have a quite turbulent relationship, with Zelda frequently killing Hilda when she is annoyed by her. Despite this, Hilda and Zelda genuinely love each other. Zelda apologized to Hilda for all the suffering she put her through at the Academy of Unseen Arts, and she comforted her after she was rejected by Dr. Cerberus. Hilda showed that she loves her sister when she poisoned Shirley Jackson because the latter mistreated Zelda out of pettiness.
Zelda loves her niece Sabrina like she is her own daughter, she constantly worries about her and has high expectations of Sabrina. They often have arguments when it comes to the Dark Lord and certain witch traditions, but Zelda would always choose Sabrina’s well being over the Dark Lord‘s will. She made it clear that she wouldn’t let Sabrina be sacrificed at the Feast of Feasts, and was horrified and disgusted when she learned that the Dark Lord wanted to make Sabrina his Queen.
Prudence has a great amount of respect for Zelda, for her devoutness to the Dark Lord and the Church of Night. She helps Zelda hide Faustus Blackwood's daughter Leticia to protect her. After Zelda marries Father Blackwood, she became Prudence’s stepmother. In that time, Zelda showed Prudence how Father Blackwood was a ruthless misogynist who would let her die if he had to. When Father Blackwood poisoned the entire coven, Prudence immediately went to Zelda and her family and begged them to save Agatha and Dorcas.
- "Chapter Twenty-One: The Hellbound Heart"
- "Chapter Twenty-Two: Drag Me to Hell"
- "Chapter Twenty-Three: Heavy is the Crown"
- "Chapter Twenty-Four: The Hare Moon"
- "Chapter Twenty-Five: The Devil Within"
- "Chapter Twenty-Six: All of Them Witches"
- "Chapter Twenty-Seven: The Judas Kiss"
- "Chapter Twenty-Eight: Sabrina Is Legend"
- Zelda has a familiar in the shape of a dog named Vinegar Tom.
- Zelda likes contact sport and movies.
- According to Zelda, all the Spellmans have been baptized under a Blood Moon, ie. October.
- Zelda loves babies because they do not disappoint or leave. They have sweet-smelling heads, and plump, juicy flesh, and an endless potential to serve Satan.
- Zelda considers Ambrose a disgrace and a burden, and Sabrina the golden apple of her eye.
- Zelda smokes cigarettes as an homage to Satan.
- In Archie Comics, Zelda is the kinder of the two aunts.
- She is the blonde, austere and science-minded aunt in the 90s sitcom, Sabrina the Teenage Witch, although she's the easy-going, curly blonde aunt in the 1996 made-for-TV movie that launched the sitcom.
- See also: Category:Images of Zelda Spellman
- ↑ Sabrina The Teenage Witch Series Casts Miranda Otto As Aunt Zelda - Deadline
- ↑ Miranda Otto on Playing Aunt Zelda and Why Chilling Adventures Reminds Her of Lord of the Rings - Vulture
- ↑ Aguirre-Sacasa, Roberto (writer) & Krieger, Lee Toland (director) (October 26, 2018). "Chapter One: October Country". Chilling Adventures of Sabrina. Part 1. Episode 1. Netflix.
- ↑ Brennan Rees, Sarah, "Season of the Witch". Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, Book 1. July 9, 2019. Scholastic Inc. & Archie Comics.