Before he became the Dark Lord, he was formerly known as the Archangel Lucifer Morningstar. However, he was cast down from Heaven by God. Wandering through the desert after refusing to submit to Adam, Lilith encountered Lucifer Morningstar, who helped him heal. In return for her eternal service, Lucifer promised to one day have her sit by his side on the throne of Hell.
Not long after the fall, Lucifer’s Angelic form began shifting into that of a beast with a goat-like head and hooves. At some point, he adopted the name "Satan" and was worshipped by witches, whom all wrote their name in his Book, exchanging their souls for power.
Millennia later, the Dark Priest of the Church of Night in Greendale, Edward Spellman, and his mortal wife, Diana, asked for the Dark Lord's help in conceiving a child, as they were unable to do so for themselves. The Dark Lord then managed to impregnate Diana through Edward, resulting in Sabrina Spellman, with whom his aim was to fulfill a dark prophecy to claim the world as his own.
When Harvey Kinkle was a young boy, the Dark Lord appeared to him while he was exploring the Greendale Mines, terrifying young Harvey; a traumatic memory which continues to haunt him in his teenage years.
Throughout Chilling Adventures of Sabrina
The Dark Lord is a goat-like, humanoid figure. He has dark fur on its legs and upper body, with cloven hooves. He has a long face with sharp teeth and long, curved horns on the top of his head. In his angelic form, the Dark Lord is a handsome, well built man, with dark brown hair and brown eyes. Additionally, he also has two wounds on his back where his wings used to be.
The Dark Lord is an evil being. His primary motive is to corrupt humans, gain control of their souls and fill the world with evil and sin. He is a tyrannical and terrifying individual who demands the utmost devotion and loyalty to him from his human followers, and will stop at nothing to have Sabrina Spellman follow his path of night and sell her soul to him.
Furthermore, as noted by Zelda in her dreams, the Dark Lord is said to be a carnivore, heavily implying he has a taste for the flesh of living beings on earth, especially humans. This is reinforced when he kills and eats Adam Masters.
Powers and Abilities
- Possession: The Dark Lord has displayed the ability to possess individuals. He possessed Principal George Hawthorne in an effort to speak to Sabrina.
- Aerokinesis: The power to generate, control and manipulate air.
- Glamour: The power to disguise a physical appearance.
- Pyrokinesis: The power to generate, control, and manipulate fire. This is inclusive of hellfire.
- Telekinesis: The power to move and control things with the power of the mind.
- Teleportation: The power to teleport from one location to another without occupying the space in between.
- Telepathy: The power to read the minds of others and project one's thoughts into others' minds.
- Immortality: He has stated that unlike Sabrina or any other mortal or witch, he is not mortal.
- Power Granting: He is able to grant witches his celestial abilities when they pledge loyalty to him.
- Spear of Longinus: While there are many ways to temporarily trap or cause the Dark Lord pain, the only known way to actually kill the Dark Lord according to himself is to use the Spear of Longinus.
- Daggers of Megiddo: These daggers forged in Megiddo can injure the Dark Lord. The power of the daggers derives from being forged in the place of origin of Christianity.
- Damascus steel: The steel smithed in Damascus, the place where Paul was converted to Christianity, can restrain demonic beings.
- "Chapter Twenty-One: The Hellbound Heart"
- "Chapter Twenty-Two: Drag Me to Hell"
- "Chapter Twenty-Three: Heavy is the Crown"
- "Chapter Twenty-Four: The Hare Moon"
- "Chapter Twenty-Six: All of Them Witches"
- "Chapter Twenty-Seven: The Judas Kiss"
- "Chapter Twenty-Eight: Sabrina Is Legend"
- According to Harvey, the Dark Lord smells like brimstone.
- According to Madam Satan, he has a preference for extravagant things like masquerade balls.
- Issue 6 of the Riverdale tie-in comics introduced a character who was heavily implied to be the devil and by extension, the "Dark Lord". If this is indeed the Dark Lord, this would make his first appearance in the shared universe of Riverdale and Chilling Adventures of Sabrina.
- His physical features were that of a middle-aged man of African descent. Seemingly ageless throughout the years, his reflection on the mirror shows him having horns.
- Sometime in either 1975 or '76', he introduced himself to Pop Tate as someone who came from Sedona and was on his way to attend to some business with a couple of women in Greendale.
- It was implied he had burned down a restaurant to the ground due to a stated wish by Pop Tate.
- According to Pop Tate, he had heard of others who had crossed paths with the man, and that successful dealings usually cost those others their immortal soul.
- Lucifer's weaknesses are based on those mentioned in the horror film series The Omen.
- See also: Category:Images of Lucifer Morningstar
- ↑ Aguirre-Sacasa, Roberto (writer) & Seidenglanz, Rob (director) (April 5, 2019). "Chapter Twenty: The Mephisto Waltz". Chilling Adventures of Sabrina. Part 2. Episode 9. Netflix.
- ↑ Conkel, Joshua & Kaufman, MJ (writers) & Talalay, Rachel (director) (October 26, 2018). "Chapter Six: An Exorcism in Greendale". Chilling Adventures of Sabrina. Part 1. Episode 6. Netflix.