Hilda is the kinder of the Spellman sisters who are raising Sabrina, though her nurturing nature belies a more ruthless side. She is a healer, a potion-maker, sweet-as-pie until you cross her or anyone she loves. Operating the local funeral home, the sisters hide their witchery from the world while teaching Sabrina spells and incantations at home.
When Hilda turned sixteen, she signed her name to the Book of the Beast, and joined the Academy of Unseen Arts. During her time, she underwent a series of hazing rituals call the Harrowing, commited by her sister, Zelda, making her academic years unpleasant. At some point after her niece's birth, she accompanied her sister-in-law, Diana Spellman, to Sabrina's baptism at the Christian church, Holy Mother Church of Greendale, keeping the secret from her brother and sister. While living with her sister, she was sometimes killed by Zelda for various reasons, and Zelda would put her body the Cain Pit in their family plot, where she would be resurrected. Her nephew Ambrose was arrested for conspiring to blow up the Vatican and placed under house arrest in Hilda and Zelda's residence. After Edward and Diana died, Hilda and Zelda became Sabrina's guardians and raised her.
Throughout Chilling Adventures of Sabrina
Hilda Spellman is short and stout, with blond hair and green eyes Her clothing style is very eccentric and inspired by the style of the sixties and seventies, more colorful than those of her sister Zelda. Hilda often wears necklaces and bracelets, unlike the glamorous Zelda, and her makeup is always kept simple and modest. She always has an earthy hint to her clothes, due to often tending to her garden.
Hilda is a sweet, kind and motherly witch, more emphatic to the clients of the Spellman Mortuary. Unlike Zelda, she doesn’t completely agree with the ways of the Church of Night and is much more benevolent. She often peppers her daily conversation with others with sweet and affectionate nicknames, such as "love", "darling" or "lamb" as just a few examples. However, despite her sweet exterior, Hilda can be very vengeful when she wants to be, and one of her greatest desires is revenge for the abuse Zelda inflicted on her during their childhood. She is much more affectionate to her niece Sabrina than Zelda. Hilda enjoys making Potions and Balms for her family members and has extensive knowledge of herbs and other medicinal plants, knowing cures for curses, etc. She deeply desires to be more independent from Zelda and find true love.
Powers and Abilities
- Spell Casting: The power to change and control events through the use of incantations, commands, or even gestures.
- Containment: The power to contain a being in a given area.
- Demonic Exorcism: Hilda is able to perform an exorcism, with the help of other witches.
- Astral Projection: The power to project their astral form from their body, essentially becoming a ghost.
- Atmokinesis: The power to control the weather. An example is when her and the other Spellmans created a tornado in order to lure every resident on Greendale to go on the Baxter High's basement.
- Warding: The power to place protection spells and wards on places and people, shielding them from harm.
- Potion Making: The ability to brew and concoct potions, remedies, and elixirs that have supernatural properties. Hilda is very skilled at making all kinds of potions from Love Potions to Spite Jars.
- Mediumship: The ability to see and communicate with the spirits of the dead.
- Divination: The ability to gain knowledge about an object, person, location or physical event through means other than the user's physical senses. She used this when she defends Susie from the boys that were bullying her by telling their most dark secrets.
- Longevity: As a full witch, Hilda ages at an especially slow rate.
- In Archie Comics, Hilda is the most strict and mean of the two aunts.
- In the 1971 comic series, she was a scrawny redhead dressed like a stereotypical witch with a purple dress and pointed hat, and always cooking up some nasty potion against mortals.
- In the 2014 comic series, Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa reinvented her as a plump brunette wearing glasses. Between the two, she is the kindest towards her niece Sabrina.
- She is the blonde, spirited and fun aunt in the 90s sitcom, Sabrina the Teenage Witch, although in the 1996 made-for-TV movie that launched the sitcom, she was the strict redhead aunt.
- According to Zelda, the eclipsing of a blood moon is stated to only occur once every 66 years. Furthermore, all the Spellmans before Sabrina have been baptized under a blood moon. This means Hilda must be no younger than sixty six years old.
- See also: Category:Images of Hilda Spellman
Season 1 Screencaps
Season 2 Screencaps