|“||No, Sabrina needed to find her own path. As you, Zelda, must find yours now. I will guide you and follow you as I always have.||”|
He is the father of Sabrina Spellman and the brother of Zelda and Hilda Spellman. Before his untimely death, Edward was a visionary and a revolutionary High Priest of the Church of Night and the Headmaster of the Academy of Unseen Arts.
Edward grew up in a household with his sisters Hilda, Zelda and their parents. During his youth, he was traumatized by the sleep demon, Batibat, whom he imprisoned in an Acheron Configuration. After becoming a High Priest of the Church of Night, he met and fell in love with Diana for who he broke up with Shirley Jackson. In order to marry her, he made a deal with the Dark Lord himself; Edward and Diana could marry, but in exchange Edward would have to give his daughter, Sabrina, to the Church of Night.
Shortly after Sabrina was born, Diana baptized Sabrina in a Christian church, the Holy Mother Church of Greendale, with Hilda as a witness; trusting her sister-in-law to keep her secret, she left the baptism record with her. Edward was, allegedly, unaware of his wife's actions.
The day after Diana had Sabrina baptized in a Christian church, Edward brought a newborn Sabrina to the Greendale Woods. With his sister, Zelda, as a witness, he signed her name in the Book of the Beast, both entirely unaware of Diana's actions.
Both Edward and Diana died when Sabrina was young in a plane crash on the way to Italy - they were travelling on Flight 2331. Sabrina was teleported to her aunts and survived. Some, such as the Weird Sisters, suggest that their deaths were not an accident at all. It is later revealed that Edward was traveling to the Vatican to give the Anti-Pope a new creed to be friendlier (and encourage inter-marriage) towards mortals.
Throughout Chilling Adventures of Sabrina
Edward was a middle age man with hazel eyes and a full beard. He has only ever been seen to wear a suit, tie and top hat. Presumably the clothing he died in during the plane crash.
Edward was an incredibly gifted and progressive warlock. He believed in equality of witches, mortals, women and men. As High Priest of the Church of Night, he tried to turn the coven more progressive and tolerant, thus allowing inter-species marriages. He also banished outdated and barbaric traditions like the Feast of Feasts.
Powers and Abilities
Edward was an exceptionably powerful and renowned warlock. Edward studied under the guidance of Faustus Blackwood, but soon surpassed his teacher and mentor. He was known as the greatest conjurer the Church of Night ever produced and some sought to follow in his footsteps, such as Nicholas Scratch. Not just a conjurer, Edward also wrote an incantation to exorcise demons from mortals. He's also credited for credited for creating the Acheron Configuration to trap demons such as Batibat. Edward was strong enough to endure the Dark Lord when he sired Sabrina through the union of Edward and Diana, just like his former mentor Blackwood would do seventeen years later, conceiving a son of Lucifer with Lilith.
- The co-starring bill during the end credits billed Edward as "Sabrina's Dad "Edward"".
- In the 2014 Chilling Adventures of Sabrina comics, Edward Spellman is one of the main antagonists. After he ditched Iola, aka Madam Satan for Diana, he locks her up in an asylum after Sabrina is born. Imprisoned in a tree by Hilda and Zelda, Edward later resurrects and takes possession of Harvey's body.
- In Issue #7, "The Truth About Demonology", that explores Edward's backstory, he's drawn like Eddie Munster, the werewolf son from The Munsters as a child. His full name is given as Edward Theodore Spellman. He was the younger brother of Zelda and Hilda, and is described as a show-off, charlatan and despicable.
- In the 1996 sitcom, Sabrina's dad was a famous wizard who appeared as an animated photo in the spellbook guiding his daughter in a few episodes. He's named Edward "Ted" Spellman.
- See also: Category:Images of Edward Spellman
- Barry, Matthew (writer) & Kiley, Maggie (director) (October 26, 2018). "Chapter Five: Dreams in a Witch House". Chilling Adventures of Sabrina. Part 1. Episode 5. Netflix.
- Maxwell, Ross (writer) & Seidenglanz, Rob (director) (October 26, 2018). "Chapter Three: The Trial of Sabrina Spellman". Chilling Adventures of Sabrina. Part 1. Episode 3. Netflix.