He is the father of Sabrina Spellman and the brother of Zelda and Hilda Spellman. Before his premature death, Edward was a visionary and a revolutionary High Priest of the Church of Night and the Headmaster of the Academy of Unseen Arts.
Edward grew up in a household with his sisters Hilda, Zelda and their parents. During his youth, he was traumatized by the sleep demon, Batibat, whom he imprisoned in an Acheron Configuration. After becoming a High Priest of the Church of Night, he met and fell in love with Diana. In order to marry her, he made a deal with the Dark Lord himself; Edward and Diana could marry, but in exchange Edward would have to give his daughter, Sabrina, to the Church of Night.
Shortly after Sabrina was born, Diana baptized Sabrina in a Christian church, Holy Mother Church of Greendale, with Hilda as a witness; trusting her sister-in-law to keep her secret, she left the baptism record with her. Edward was, allegedly, unaware of his wife's actions.
The day after Diana had Sabrina baptized in a Christian church, Edward brought a newborn Sabrina to the Greendale Wood. With his sister, Zelda, as witness, he signed her name in the Book of the Beast, both apparently entirely unaware of Diana's actions.
Both Edward and Diana died when Sabrina was young in a plane crash on the way to Italy - they were travelling on Flight 2331 Sabrina was teleported to her aunts and survived. Some, such as the Weird Sisters, suggest that that their deaths were not an accident at all, something Hilda and Zelda's attempts to dodge the question support. It is later revealed that Edward was travelling to Italy to give the Anti-Pope a new creed to be friendlier (and encourage inter-marriage) towards mortals. Faustus Blackwood is implied to have made their plane crash.
Throughout Chilling Adventures of Sabrina
Edward and Diana briefly appear in their daughter Sabrina's dream. Sabrina slips away while in her bath and wakes up in the woods to the sight of her parents carrying a crying baby. Without any clothing, Sabrina follows her parents further into the woods. She asks if they’re coming to her baptism, but Edward and Diana do not respond. Sabrina approaches the podium, where she finds two babies, one with human feet and one with more animalistic features. Sabrina wakes up from her nightmare back in the tub in her home.
Edward was a middle age man with hazel eyes and a full beard. He has only ever been seen to wear a suit, tie and top hat.
Edward was a incredibly gifted and progressive warlock. he believed in equality of witches, mortals, women and men. As High Priest of the Church of Night, he tried to turn the coven more progressive and tolerant, and allowing inter-species marriages. He also banished outdated and barbaric traditions like the Feast of Feasts.
Powers and Abilities
- Spell Casting: The power to change and control events through the use of incantations, commands, or even gestures.
- Longevity: As a full warlock, Edward aged at a slower rate than mortals.
- The co-starring bill during the end credits billed Edward as Sabrina's Dad "Edward".
- See also: Category:Images of Edward Spellman
Part 1 Screencaps
Part 2 Screencaps
- ↑ Barry, Matthew (writer) & Kiley, Maggie (director) (October 26, 2018). "Chapter Five: Dreams in a Witch House". Chilling Adventures of Sabrina. Part 1. Episode 5. Netflix.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 Maxwell, Ross (writer) & Seidenglanz, Rob (director) (October 26, 2018). "Chapter Three: The Trial of Sabrina Spellman". Chilling Adventures of Sabrina. Part 1. Episode 3. Netflix.
- ↑ Aguirre-Sacasa, Roberto (writer) & Krieger, Lee Toland (director) (October 26, 2018). "Chapter One: October Country". Chilling Adventures of Sabrina. Part 1. Episode 1. Netflix.