Demons are a species of malevolent supernatural beings introduced in Chilling Adventures of Sabrina. Demons are evil spirits which originate from Hell, who seek to corrupt, torment and even possess human beings, and in general to wreak chaos and destruction on earth.
Demons originate from Hell. The exact origins of demons is unknown, but Asmodeus claims to have stood with Lucifer before witches and mortals existed. Lilith, the first woman and Adam's wife before Eve, referred to herself as the "mother of demons", a title also recognized by Batibat. This proves that demons have existed for at least as long as the world.
An incubus is a sex demon. Their face transforms when their passions are aflame. To contain a demon, one must need chains forged from Damascus steel, strong enough to contain even the most aggressive incubus. The incubus will need to wear these chains whenever they have sexual intercourse with another person. An Incubus possessed Dr. Cerberus before it was consumed by the Uninvited.
Rusalka is a water demon that lures its victims into the river and drowns them. They wait on the riverbanks and combs their hair. Her hair is like silvery tentacles caught in a current and her laugh is like silver bells. The Rusalka is like the Melusine, the demon serpent of the river that killed with her kiss, and is a mirror of a dead witch queen.
Apophis is a parasitic demon, also known as the Devouring Worm. They possess humans and feast on them from the inside out. When a human comes into contact with them through touch, they can jump into them and use their body as hosts for a short period of time. The only way to expel the demon is through exorcism. Apophis possessed Jesse Putnam for years, but was later exorcised by Sabrina, Hilda, Zelda, and Lilith posing as Ms. Wardwell.
Powers and Abilities
- Spell Casting: The power to change and control events through the use of incantations.
- Shapeshifting: The power to assume one's appearance.
- Scrying: The power to spy on another person using a reflective surface.
- Summoning: The power to summon other beings from one location to another.
- Demonic Possession: The power to take over another person's body.
- Telekinesis: The power to move and control objects and people with the mind.
- Poppet Puppetry: The power to control non-sentient beings and physical events through the use of poppets.
- Teleportation: The power to teleport from one location to another without occupying the space in between.
- Umbraportation: The power to move through shadows.
- Glamour: The power to disguise a physical appearance.
- Dream Walking: The power to enter another person's dream.
- Dream Manipulation: The power to manipulate another person's dream.
- Levitation: The power to propel oneself in the air and hover.
- Pyrokinesis: The power to generate, control, and manipulate fire. This is inclusive of hellfire.
- Hellfire Summoning: The power to summon hellfire from the pit of Hell.
- Soul Consumption: The power to devour people's souls.
- Animal control: The power to control animals.
- Exorcisms: Certain demons can be exorcised from their possessed host bodies.
- Witchcraft: Demons are susceptible to the powers of witchcraft. Notably, demons can be sealed away or bound to prevent them from harming others, usually within physical boundaries with spells or objects, such as with a trapping stone.
- Angels: Demons are subservient to the fallen archangel Lucifer. Additionally, in the erased timeline, the Archangel Michael led an attack on Hell and killed every demon inside.
Spells and Rituals
- Shapeshifting Spell: A spell that allows a demon to take on the appearance of another individual.
- Incantation: Dominus patior respice ad mea ego creo faciem.
- Requirements: The spell is recited while making contact with the blood of the demon's victim.
- Used by: Madam Satan performed this spell to assume Mary Wardwell's appearance after murdering her in order to get closer to Sabrina Spellman to do the Dark Lord's bidding.
- Scrying Spell: A spell that allows a demon to spy on their target via the use of mirrors.
- Dream Walking Spell: A spell that allows a demon to walk into the dreams of others.
- Incantation: Unknown
- Requirements: Gin, self induced sleep, clear intent
- Used by: Madam Satan used this spell to enter the dreams of the Spellmans to look for Sabrina.
- Greendale Thirteen Summoning Spell: A spell to summon the spirits of the Greendale Thirteen.
- Incantation: I call out to the Greendale Thirteen! To the witches hunted by mortals! Betrayed by their own kind. Hung from this tree by their necks. Arise, Sisters. Arise.
- Requirements: Virgin, the witch hour
- Used by: Madam Satan performed this spell by first sacrificing a virgin Baxter High student and called forth the spirits of the Greendale Thirteen. She then instructed them that, for one hour from midnight to one, they would be able to walk the earth again and claim their revenge on the inhabitants of Greendale and to summon the butcher that would end the town.
- Yule Log Extinguishing Spell: A spell to extinguish the Yule Log.
- Dark Lord Summoning Spell: A spell to summon the Dark Lord.
- Incantation: Me invocare te in tenebris, dominus satanas. Venire ad me.
- Requirements: Poppet
- Used by: Madam Satan performed this spell to summon the Dark Lord. She believed that it was time to catch up on a few things concerning Sabrina, that she suspected that the Dark Lord had more important plans for her than she was lead to believe.
- Dark Lord Protection Spell: A spell to protect a mortal from the Dark Lord.
- Premature Birth Spell: A spell to kill a pregnant woman by exploding her insides.
- Incantation: "So that the crown and the throne be won, let mother and son be undone."
- Requirements: A poppet resembling the target
- Used by: Caliban used this spell to kill Lilith and her unborn son, though Lilith prevented this by fleeing to Greendale and giving birth under the protection of the Order of Hecate.
- All demons are allegedly descended from Lilith.
- According to Zelda Spellman, demons can prey on the fears and shames of others.
- According to one of the witches belonging to the Greendale Thirteen, demons are able to summon hellfire.
- According to Zelda, demons are very powerful during the Winter Solstice.
- Some demons are able to take on a human appearance.
- Rusalkas are based on water-nymphs in Slavic mythology.
- The names of the Plague Kings and other demons mentioned in the series are taken from the Ars Goetia.