The Dark Lord, also known as Satan, The Devil or Lucifer Morningstar, is the main antagonist of Part 1 and Part 2 of Netflix's Chilling Adventures of Sabrina. He is a fallen archangel and the embodiment of evil and free will, and is worshiped by witches.
Before he became the Dark Lord, he was formerly known as the Archangel Lucifer Morningstar. However, he was cast down from Heaven by God. Wandering through the desert after refusing to submit to Adam, Lilith encountered Lucifer Morningstar, who helped him heal. In return for her eternal service, Lucifer promised to one day have her sit by his side on the throne of Hell.
Not long after the fall, Lucifer’s Angelic form began shifting into that of a beast with a goat-like head and hooves. At some point, he adopted the name "Satan" and was worshipped by witches, whom all wrote their name in his Book, exchanging their souls for power.
Millennia later, the Dark Priest of the Church of Night in Greendale, Edward Spellman, and his mortal wife, Diana, asked for the Dark Lord's help in conceiving a child, as they were unable to do so for themselves. The Dark Lord then managed to impregnate Diana, resulting in Sabrina Spellman, with whom his aim was to fulfill a dark prophecy to claim the world as his own.
Throughout Chilling Adventures of Sabrina
The Dark Lord is a goat-like, humanoid figure. He has dark fur on its legs and upper body, with cloven hooves. He has a long face with sharp teeth and long, curved horns on the top of his head. In his angelic form, the Dark Lord is a handsome, well built man, with dark brown hair and brown eyes. Additionally, he also has two wounds on his back where his wings used to be.
The Dark Lord is an evil being. His primary motive is to corrupt human beings, gain control of their souls and fill the world with evil and sin. He is a tyrannical and terrifying individual who demands the utmost devotion and loyalty to him from his human followers, and will stop at nothing to have Sabrina Spellman follow his path of night and sell her soul to him.
Furthermore, as noted by Zelda in her dreams, The Dark Lord is said to be a carnivore, heavily implying he has a taste for the flesh of living beings on earth, especially humans. This is reinforced when he kills and eats Adam Masters.
Powers and Abilities
- Possession: The Dark Lord has displayed the ability to possess individuals. He possessed Principal George Hawthorne in an effort to speak to Sabrina.
- Aerokinesis: The power to generate, control and manipulate air.
- Glamour: The power to disguise a physical appearance.
- Pyrokinesis: The power to generate, control, and manipulate fire. This is inclusive of hellfire.
- Telekinesis: The power to move and control things with the power of the mind.
- Teleportation: The power to teleport from one location to another without occupying the space in between.
- Immortality: He has stated that unlike Sabrina or any other mortal or witch, he is not mortal.
- Spear of Longinus: While there are many ways to temporarily trap or cause the Dark Lord pain, the only known way to actually kill the Dark Lord according to himself is to use the Spear of Longinus.
- According to Harvey, the Dark Lord smells like brimstone.
- According to Madam Satan, he has a preference for extravagant things like masquerade balls
- Issue 6 of the Riverdale tie-in comics introduced a character who was heavily implied to be the devil and by extension, the "Dark Lord". If this is indeed the Dark Lord, this would make his first appearance in the shared universe of Riverdale and Chilling Adventures of Sabrina.
- His physical features were that of a middle-aged man of African descent. Seemingly ageless throughout the years, his reflection on the mirror shows him having horns.
- Sometime in either 1975 or '76', he introduced himself to Pop Tate as someone who came from Sedona and was on his way to attend to some business with a couple of women in Greendale.
- It was implied he had burned down a restaurant to the ground due to a stated wish by Pop Tate.
- According to Pop Tate, he had heard of others who had crossed paths with the man, and that successful dealings usually cost those others their immortal soul.
- See also: Category:Images of Dark Lord
Part 1 Screencaps
Part 2 Screencaps